Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New things everyday

It took working a cruise ship for 4 months in Australia and some prompting from my brother to finally get me to put up a blog. So here it is. Hopefully I'll be able to update this from the ship. If not, I'll try and update it in Brisbane every week.

At the moment, I'm in an internet cafe in Cairns which is in tropical northern Queensland. The Great Barrier Reef is about an hour away by bus. It's January 24 and it's about 88 degrees and humid outside. Feels like I should be teaching a band camp. Feeling pretty good at the moment, despite everything I imbibed last night. We overnighted here in Cairns and the night off was a much needed release for many of us. Somebody played a Rage Against the Machine tune at one point and I can recall screaming the lyrics with my hand in the air. Realized just how much I needed to get out of the fishbowl.

We set sail for Willis Island and Brisbane later this afternoon. We're throwing a party for our departing deputy cruise director tonight. We worked up a little skit for him and everything. It should be hilarious. Friday is Australia Day (their 4th of July). Should be interesting. Friday will also be the last day that the seasonal youth staff are on the ship. They're good people and I've been hanging out with them quite a lot so I'm sure I'll miss them when they're gone.

I'm gonna work on posting pictures here eventually. For now, they're all up on my facebook profile. I'll see if I can get a link up here to that. I need to do some shopping now before I head back the ship though.

cheers

2 comments:

Jeff Myers said...

Welcome to the blog world, I know half of bethel has already read this

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

It is true. You already have readers. I hope you are enjoying your new job. I've been praying for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I look forward to reading your stories.